OK, so sometimes being cheap does not pay off. I bought a cheap $15 blender to make smoothies with for the summer, and it was awful. My parents could hear me yelling at my blender (which took 10 minutes to blend and did not even chop up all the ice), while my daughter was talking to them on the phone. They asked her what in the world was going on, and my daughter said, “Oh, that’s just Mom yelling at our terrible blender again.” Anyway, they recently surprised me with a new blender for my birthday and I LOVE it!!! I had no idea a better blender would work so well. It blends things perfectly in seconds! It’s so funny that a small thing like a good blender could make me so happy, but it does! They got me a Cuisinart SmartPower 7-Speed Electronic Blender. It rocks!
I will now be searching for even more great smoothie recipes for the summer. Here are the ones I’ve been using so far:
1. Prepackaged Chocolate-Banana Smoothie Packets. They are very easy to make. Just mix some ice, skim milk, bananas, and the packet!
2. The Orange Creamsicle Smoothie. Here’s how to make it (found the recipe online):
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup of orange Tang
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Ice (enough to make desired consistency)
Place everything into a blender, mix till ice is crushed.
3. Broccoli-Blueberry Smoothie. I’m trying this recipe next, because it’s always good to sneak in the fruits and veggies in for my kids!
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli
- 1 cup of 100 percent cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup of low-fat plain yogurt
Blend and combine to make 1 smoothie. Add strawberries or blackberries for an additional burst of nutrition.
Have fun making smoothies this summer for a nice summertime treat! Hopefully, you have a blender to use that you love! Also, usually any fruit, yogurt/milk, ice, and honey combination make yummy smoothies!
* Do you have any smoothie recipes to share?