My son will go through stages where he will eat anything I serve him; and other times, he will only eat macaroni and cheese. He began to ask for his, “out-da-blu-box, mommy.” I’m not sure of the who, what, when, where and whys; but somehow I said good bye to organic bunny macaroni and cheese (it’s white). Except, I can’t buy the blue box. My daughter is allergic to sodium phosphate. What is one to do? I like the whole wheat option and I want real cheese without additives. Mommylution: make believe mac and cheese.
The following recipe is a happy compromise of a healthy, cheesy, whole wheat, creamy goodness that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. Added bonus: a whole serving of vegetables too!
- 1lb box whole wheat macaroni pasta
- 4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese or medium cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups carrots
- 3 Table spoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Steam carrots (in baby steamer, microwave, or stove top). Cook Pasta, set aside.
- Add cheese, milk, salt and blend puree consistency.
3. Pour sauce into cooked pasta. Mix well.
4. Serve & Enjoy!
Doesn’t it look like the real thing?